img

Blog

Coronavirus cases in India: India reports 7 coronavirus deaths, cases jump to 360: Latest developments | India News – Times of India

Posted on: May 7, 2020
img img img
NEW DELHI: India reported three more coronavirus deaths on Sunday, including the first casualties from Bihar and Gujarat, taking the toll to seven. Meanwhile, millions of people across the country stayed indoors, streets wore a deserted look and bare number of vehicles were on the road today in an unprecedented shutdown after PM Modi’s appeal for a ‘Janta curfew‘.
Here are the top developments:
Number of cases rises to 360
The number of Covid-19 cases in India rose to 360 on Sunday. The total includes 41 foreign nationals and seven deaths, the latest being reported from Bihar and Gujarat. Delhi, Karnataka and Punjab have reported one death each so far while Maharashtra has reported two casualties. Twenty-four others have been cured/discharged/migrated.
Global coronavirus infections top 300,000
There are more than 300,000 declared cases of the new coronavirus around the world, according to an AFP tally on Sunday at 0900 GMT. At least 300,097 infections have been confirmed globally, including 12,895 deaths, in 169 countries and territories, according to data collected from national authorities and the World Health Organization. The figures likely reflect only a fraction of the actual number of infections with many countries only testing cases that require hospitalisation.
India observes Janta Curfew
The air reverberated with a medley of sounds on Sunday evening as people across the country rang bells, blew conches and clapped to express appreciation for medical and other staff who are on the frontline of the battle against the coronavirus. From children to the elderly, common people to VIPs, all came out in balconies, lawns and terrace of their homes as the clock struck five, following an appeal by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to show gratitude to doctors, paramedics, police and other personnel associated with essential services when the country was observing an unprecedented ‘Janta Curfew’ on Sunday to check the spread of the virus.
More on Covid-19

Lockdown in many districts; transport services suspended
As the virus cases climbed, the central and state governments decided to lock down 75 districts from where COVID-19 cases have been reported to break the chain of transmission, and the Health Ministry said states would earmark hospitals to exclusively treat coronavirus patients. At least 22 states, including Maharashtra, Kerala, Haryana, UP, Uttarakhand and West Bengal, announced partial or complete lockdown for varying periods. All inter-state buses, passenger trains and metro services have been suspended across the country till March 31. Only goods trains will run during the period. Passengers can claim a full refund for trains cancelled during this period till June 21.
Over 18K samples tested: ICMR
According to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) as many as 18,127 samples from 17,237 individuals have been tested for COVID-19 so far, the ICMR said.
PM Modi thanks countrymen to participate in ‘clapping initiative’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday thanked countrymen for participating in ‘Janta Curfew’ initiative to express their gratitude towards people, who are providing relentless services in a battle against COVID-19, which has infected over 300 people so far in the country. “The country thanked each person who led the fight against the coronavirus. Many thanks to the countrymen. Janta Curfew,” Prime Minister Modi tweeted.
Death toll in Italy’s Lombardy rises by 360 in a day
The death toll in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s contagion, has risen by around 360 in a day to more than 3,450, a source told Reuters on Sunday. The number of cases in the region, which includes Italy’s financial capital Milan, has increased by around 2,590 to more than 28,370. However, a number of results were still awaiting confirmation and it was not clear if they would be added later. Sunday’s figures represented an improvement on Saturday when the death toll in the region rose by 546 and new cases increased by 3,251. Italy now has the highest coronavirus death toll in the world beating China where over 3K have died.
First death in Afghanistan; first positive case in Gaza
As per country’s health ministry spokesperson, Afghanistan reported first death due to novel coronavirus. Meanwhile, the arrival of the coronavirus in the Gaza Strip, an impoverished enclave where the health care system has been gutted by years of conflict, raised fears on Sunday the pandemic may soon prey on some of the most vulnerable populations in the world.
Spain extends state of emergency until April 11
Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez said Sunday his government would ask parliament to extend for another 15 days until April 11 a state of emergency it imposed this month to try to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. The nationwide state of emergency was first announced on March 14 and it bars people in the nation of around 46 million people from leaving home except for essential outings like buying food or seeking medical care. The announcement comes after Spain announced 394 new deaths caused by the pandemic, raising to 1,720 the official death toll in Europe’s worst-hit country after Italy, a 30 percent increase over the previous day.
Over 21K confirmed cases in Iran; leader denies US aide
According to Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour, as of Sunday Iran had 21,638 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus and 1.658 casualties. Iran now stands sixth in the world Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has also refused the US assistance to fight the virus, citing an unfounded conspiracy theory that the virus could be man-made by America. His comments come as Iran faces crushing U.S. sanctions blocking the country from selling its crude oil and accessing international financial markets. Khamenei’s comments come after Chinese government spokesman Lijian Zhao tweeted earlier this month that it “might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan.
China reports first local COVID-19 case after three days
China reported its first domestic coronavirus case after a gap of three days as the country saw a surge in imported infections with 45 new cases and initiated stricter measures to avert COVID-19 to resurface and create a second wave of infections, health officials said on Sunday. China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said that 46 new confirmed cases were reported on the mainland on Saturday, including one domestic infection transmitted by imported cases in Guangzhou. Six deaths were reported from China, including five from Hubei Province, taking the death toll in the country to 3,261.
Paksitan rules out complete lockdown
Pakistan PM Imran Khan addressing the nation on Sunday ruled out complete lockdown in the country, saying it will create chaos as more than 25 per cent people were living below the poverty line and their lives will be shattered. He urged people to self-quarantine to curb the spread of the coronavirus, which has so far claimed four lives and infected over 700 people in the country. “If the condition was similar to that of Italy, I would have imposed a lockdown,” he said.

  • Download

    The Times of India News App for Latest India News

  • Subscribe

    Start Your Daily Mornings with Times of India Newspaper! Order Now

Start Your Daily Mornings with Times of India Newspaper! Order Now

This content was originally published here.

Leave a Reply