PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (WSAZ) — UPDATE 2/1/19 @ 6:45 p.m. What started as a normal night for Jill Donini and her grandson turned into a scary situation.
“I had someone knock on my door, and he said, ‘you need to evacuate,’ ” she said.
She and her grandson Landon had come home from a basketball practice Thursday afternoon.
About an hour later, they were told they needed to leave their home because a neighboring apartment had exploded due to a gas leak.
“Black smoke was rolling out of every window and every door,” Donini said.
Fortunately the woman who lives in that apartment wasn’t home, but the fire spread to the two apartments next door.
No one was home at one of the neighboring apartments, but the other apartment was empty.
“As a matter of fact, I was supposed to be four apartments down so I would’ve been in 30,” she said.
Donini says she’s glad that no one was hurt.
“I’m thankful for the woman that wasn’t home, cause you don’t know how that would’ve turned out,” she said.
In the future, she will be wary of the smell of natural gas.
“It’s in the back of my mind. I mean, I’m fearful right now, I really am,” Donini said.
For now, she’s grateful for her and her grandson’s lives.
“Someone was watching over us of a higher power, that’s for sure,” she said.
ORIGINAL STORY 1/31/19 No one was injured in a natural gas explosion at an apartment complex Thursday afternoon.
As of 8:30 Thursday evening, crews from Columbia Gas were still on the scene along Coles Boulevard isolating leaks and doing repairs, Portsmouth Police Chief Robert Ware said.
The person who lived in the apartment where the explosion originated was not home at the time. The fire then spread to two other apartments. A person in one of the units made it out safely.
Those displaced by the explosion are being taken care of by Columbia Gas and the landlord of the apartment.
There are a few units that are still without gas.
Chief Ware said that this incident serves as a good reminder that natural gas has an odor, and if you smell it you should report it.
This content was originally published here.